Saturday 4 June 2011

Insomnia

My old friend insomnia seems to be back tonight. I thought I had managed to shake it off as it hadn't reared its ugly head in a few weeks and then bam tonight its back. Well I say tonight its technically morning. Its 2am and I have watched all the TV programmes I recorded earlier.

My Insomnia is strange I just don't feel tired there is no desire to go to sleep. I have enough pain medication in my system to sedate a bull elephant but the switch in my brain is still stuck on daytime and hasn't switched over to night mode.

Tomorrow or should I say today could go either way. I could feel really awful and have the shakes all day or I could feel tired but fine. Now its gone past 2am its not going to happen much before 6am if I do manage to finally flip the switch.

Everything is so quiet apart from hubs and the dogs all snoring away in the background. Its highly irritating as it seems to me they are showing off.  I know I should be sleeping.

Now I just need to find somethings to occupy myself with until I feel the urge to switch off.

3 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Rachel .. sounds difficult .. there's lots of stories around .. linked in to Lenny's blog - 11 year old going through chemo .. links from my blog ..

But one of the important things is to give the brain time to have its quiet time .. ie nothing going in .. just lying in the dark - just being ..

I know at times I definitely need those quiet moments - I've taken to switching on the radio at night = big mistake as there are some interesting items on BBC World .. but I regret it - as the brain buzzes.

Hope you can sleep tonight ie Saturday night .. as I've missed Friday! Cheers Hilary

The Myasthenia Kid said...

Hi Hilary,

I managed to drop off after 5am.

I did all my usual things like turn everything off and just lie there but it just didn't work.

I give myself at least three hours of quiet time before I get up or switch something on to relieve the boredom.

I think with the POTS too much adrenaline floods my system making you feel wide awake and ready to spring into action.

Got about 5 hours sleep in the end. I wont nap today so I will fall alseep tonight.

Its something I have suffered from even as a kid I would have at least one night a month where I didn't sleep. It was worse just after Jamies crash where I was going 2 or 3 nights a week without sleep. So its got much better!

Yeah I enjoy the world service too!

Rach

Clove said...

Oh dear, I had a very bad night too!!! Hope you get some much needed sleep!
xoxoxoxox